Position: ENVIRONMENTAL CAMPAIGNS ORGANIZERS
Status: Full Time Exempt
Reports to: Campaigns Director
Hybrid: Remote & In-Office
New Jersey League of Conservation Voters Education Fund and New Jersey League of Conservation Voters (NJLCV) are bi-partisan, non-profit organizations that protect our precious natural resources by raising awareness of key environmental challenges; increasing the efficacy of the environmental community; helping elect environmentally responsible candidates to state and local offices, advocating for strong environmental policies, and ensuring accountability to safeguard the health of our communities, the beauty of our state, and the strength of our economy.
NJLCV seeks two full-time Environmental Campaigns Organizers to cultivate and mobilize New Jersey residents in support of bold climate policies; to bolster state-wide support for New Jersey’s off-shore wind program, solar alternative energy programs, and our project to combat harmful fossil fuels. These individuals must be able to work independently as well as with a dynamic team, foster partnership development and coalitions, and demonstrate comfort and success in working within multiple types of diverse communities in order to ensure maximum outcomes.
• Under the supervision of the Campaigns Director, assume responsibility for leading, organizing and growing NJLCV’s various campaigns.
• Collaborate and plan advocacy with other staff organizers and allies, conducting educational forums and community outreach to ensure broad state-wide support.
• Assume a significant role in NJLCV’s growing volunteer initiative, utilizing resources for organizing and other activities, and helping oversee program development.
• Recruit, train, manage, and cultivate volunteers for effective collective action including phone outreach, signature petition drives, texting, in-person education activities (when conditions allow), earned media, and storytelling.
• Coordinate and plan volunteer engagement events.
• Help assist in the development of our new volunteer initiative.
• Develop and provide strategic input and feedback on campaign plans, targets, strategies and tactics.
• Track metrics of all volunteer engagement and regularly submit status reports to direct supervisor.
• Conduct outreach to local environmental organizations, community/senior centers, religious affiliates, housing cooperatives, high schools/universities, and businesses and other grass-roots entities as appropriate.
• Ensure all activities are conducted in a manner consistent with state and federal regulations.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Basic understanding of, and ability to navigate political landscape in New Jersey
• Prior success with coalition building, support, and coordination
• Demonstrated success recruiting volunteer activists and mobilizing public support, particularly in environmentally challenged communities
• Prior experience with field organizing and designing grassroots organizing campaigns
• Prior work with immigrant communities, communities of color, or related work experience highly preferred
• Prior direct experience with offshore winds or fossil fuel opposition initiatives a plus
• Working knowledge of Voter Activation Network (VAN), Every Action, Mobilize and Catalist preferred
Skills and Qualifications:
• Commitment to environmental conservation and equity
• Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills
• Highly organized, self-directed, dependable team player
• Bi-lingual Spanish language skills given strong preference
This is a full-time position based in Hamilton, NJ with significant site work along the coastal Jersey shore and Central Jersey areas. Travel throughout New Jersey will be necessary so a valid driver’s license and access to a car are required, and this person must be able to maintain a flexible schedule common to campaigns. It is required that all employees upon hire either: (i) establish they have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and its variants; or (ii) obtain an approved exemption as an accommodation, the process for which is provided by the Human Resources Department.
This position is supported by grant funding, with the strong likelihood of continuation, dependent upon additional funding and the possibility of advancement.
S alary Range: $40,000 - $60,000 annually, commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits package.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Jobs@njlcv.org with “Campaigns Organizer” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications reviewed on a rolling basis.
New Jersey LCV is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, genetics, disability, age, marital status, familial status, domestic partnership status, civil union status, pregnancy, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait status, or veteran status.